“Books are the treasured wealth of the world and the fit inheritance of generations and nations.”
― Henry David Thoreau
Kingston WritersFest Invites Applications for Development Manager
Kingston WritersFest (KWF) is one of the premier cultural events in the city of Kingston. KWF presents an annual five-day Festival in late September that includes events for children, teens, and adults, as well as presenting occasional offseason literary and fundraising events during the year.
The Development Manager assists in the Festival’s annual private sector fundraising: corporate sponsorship and donations, individual sponsorship and donations, and foundation grants. With the guidance of the Artistic Director and Fund Development Committee of the Board, the Development Manager assists in development and implementation of the private sector portion of the Festival’s Annual Fundraising Plan. This is a middle management role, with an opportunity for advancement.
Kingston WritersFest seeks an individual with a passion for the arts and the written word, strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrated track record in meeting fundraising and sponsorship targets, communication, and proposal writing and follow-up. The ideal candidate will be able to work both independently and in a collaborative team environment.
- Assist in development of annual and multiyear strategies inspired by the Festival’s Strategic Plan and Mission to achieve and grow individual and corporate philanthropic giving, corporate sponsorship, and special events revenue goals;
- Assist in development of private sector fundraising campaign to mesh with public revenues and sales revenues to meet revenue targets;
- Department spending;
- Research and present development proposal on a new major sponsorship;
- Identify and cultivate new individual and corporate donor relationships to achieve KWF’s development goals;
- Nurture and cultivate growth in KWF’s current individual donor and sponsor relationships;
- Lead and manage other members of the organization in the stewardship of donor and sponsor relationships;
- Assist in the development of messaging and materials to promote development initiatives that reflect KWF’s brand, in collaboration with Artistic Director.
- A passion for the arts, literature, literacy, and books;
- Minimum 3 years of broad fundraising experience for non-profits;
- Experience with a literary or other arts organization an asset;
- Undergraduate degree or college diploma in a related discipline;
- A demonstrated successful track record of broad fundraising skills including: major/planned gifts, sponsorships, donations, annual special events, grants;
- Proven track record in cultivating and maintaining relationships with sponsors and donors;
- Proven track record in the ability to deliver engaging presentations, direct mail activities, prepare proposals, grant applications, and donor agreements;
- Social media skills coupled with marketing and communications experience;
- Excellent administrative, time management, interpersonal, and communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Able to promote cooperation and collaboration within all levels of the organization;
- Ability and enthusiasm for working in a collaborative team environment.
This is a fulltime, one-year position with the possibility of extension or transition to a permanent employment position. Anticipated start date early March, 2016.
Please submit a cover letter and resume (in a single PDF or Word file) by email to: email@example.com
Application deadline: February 15, 2016
We thank all applicants for their interest – only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Explore Our Human Digital Literary Library
Beginning in December, Kingston WritersFest will be releasing free, full-length video recordings of select Kingston WritersFest onstage events. Visit our Past Festivals section or Youtube channel each month and relive, or discover, a sample of our diverse programming.
Enjoy our first installation,Walking the Path of Hope: Memoir, featuring Wab Kinew and Eric Friesen.
Curl up with a stellar selection of hand-picked titles, or get a head start on your holiday shopping with Ben’s expert advice. Read Ben McNally’s Reading List
Subscribe to our newsletter to keep in touch with news from the Festival.
Are you a published author, a self-published author with a TWUC membership, or publisher interested in the Festival? Find out about our Programming Policy.