Treat Yourself to an Immersive Writing Retreat and Make Your Writing Passion a Priority
Note that packages are now SOLD OUT. Individual tickets to some classes are still available. See the event and tickets page for details.
- Two hotel nights at the Residence Inn by Marriott Kingston Water’s Edge
- 3 Writers Retreat classes daily (6 total)
- 1 evening author event
- Hot breakfast buffet each morning
1. Check in Wednesday, Wednesday evening event (An Evening with Michael Crummey), 3 WR classes on both Thursday and Friday (check out Friday)
2. Check in Thursday, Thursday evening event (International Marquee), 3 WR classes on both Friday and Saturday (check out Saturday). This package comes with your choice of two Writers Retreat classes during the 12:30 time slot on Saturday. Please let us know if you would like to attend Meaning Schmeaning: Writing as a Journey or The Decisive Moment: Writing Great Scenes.
3. Check in Friday, Friday evening event (Voaden Prize Stage Reading or upgrade your ticket to the Robertson Davies Dinner for just $25! – contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details), 3 WR classes on both Saturday and Sunday (check out Sunday). This package comes with your choice of two Writers Retreat classes during the 12:30 time slot on Saturday. Please let us know if you would like to attend Meaning Schmeaning: Writing as a Journey or The Decisive Moment: Writing Great Scenes.
*Please email email@example.com with your Package Option choices!
- Four hotel nights at the Residence Inn by Marriott Kingston Water’s Edge
- 3 Writers Retreat Master Classes daily (12 classes total). This package comes with your choice of two Writers Retreat classes during the 12:30 time slot on Saturday. Please let us know if you would like to attend Meaning Schmeaning: Writing as a Journey or The Decisive Moment: Writing Great Scenes.
- 4 evening author events: An Evening with Michael Crummey, the International Marquee, Voaden Prize Stage Reading or upgrade your ticket to the Robertson Davies Dinner for just $25 (email firstname.lastname@example.org for details), Author!Author!
- Hot breakfast buffet each morning
Our best value, and your chance to enjoy the full, immersive experience!
Check in Wednesday night, attend three Writers Retreat Master Classes daily on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and take in an evening author event on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Check out Sunday morning.
What do I have to do to reserve my tickets?
What tickets come with my package?
Wednesday – 1 evening event
Option 1. Check in Wednesday night, check out Friday morning:
Thursday -3 Writers Retreat classes, 1 evening event
Friday -3 Writers Retreat classes
Enjoy two or four days of inspiration and revitalization set against the waterfront backdrop of beautiful, historic downtown Kingston
Finding the space, time, and energy to write can be a challenge. Families, jobs, day-to-day chores, and the inertia of staring at the same four walls can sap your motivation and stunt your creativity. This September, take the time to commit to your writing and yourself, to get away, recharge, and get inspired.
Our Writers Retreat offers you the opportunity to learn practical writing techniques from a dozen award-winning and critically acclaimed authors in an intimate, judgement-free environment. Whether you’ve been writing for years, or just putting pen to paper, these classes will improve your skills, increase your confidence, and help you to become a more expressive, effective writer.
Your writing getaway starts when you check into a spacious Studio Suite at the Residence Inn by Marriott Kingston Water’s Edge, nestled right on the shore of Lake Ontario. Step outside and you are on Kingston’s 8km waterfront trail, and steps from historic sites, vibrant downtown shopping, hip coffee shops, and world-class restaurants. Each room features luxury bedding, full kitchen, and separate areas for sleeping, working, dining, and relaxing. Spread out your writing tools, chill a bottle of wine, and tuck a few snack supplies in the fridge (for late-night inspiration). And don’t forget to pack your swimsuit for a dip in the saltwater pool and whirlpool!
What’s nicer than to have breakfast made for you? Before each day of instruction begins in the adjacent comfortably-appointed classroom, prepare your body and mind with a complimentary hot buffet breakfast served in the cozy Hearth Room, or enjoy your breakfast on the Harbourview Terrace, with the beauty of pastoral Wolfe Island just across the water to inspire you.
Here’s what 2018 attendees had to say about the Writers Retreat:
“Well organized, writer-friendly, good exercises, well-answered questions.”
“Quite delightful and engaging. Thought-provoking. Terrific examples. Creates a safe space.”
“Excellent presentation of both abstract and detailed material… The exercises were fun and helpful.”
“I learned a great deal and I did not feel that my lack of experience was a hindrance.”
“What a gem – the most genuinely inspiring few hours I’ve had the fortune of experiencing.”
“Loved the Writers Retreat. Sessions long enough to really learn something… I will be back!”
Under 18? Visit the TeensWrite! Workshops page for details of our 90-minute teens only classes. TeensWrite! Master Classes take place in the Sir John A. Macdonald Room of the Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront.
It is your responsibility to read and understand our cancellation policy before making a reservation.
No one books a retreat with the intention of cancelling it, but unexpected events do occur, so please consider purchasing travel insurance. Exceptions cannot be made for any reason, including weather, injury/illness, or personal emergencies. We will not issue refunds or credits for failure to attend, failure to complete the retreat, arriving late or leaving early.
The Writers Retreat package is refundable, on a pro-rated basis as follows:
Cancellation prior to Wednesday, June 26: refund less a cancellation fee of 15% of the total retreat cost.
Cancellation between Thursday, June 27 and Wednesday, July 31: refund less a 25% cancellation fee.
Cancellation between Thursday, August 1 and Sunday, August 31: refund less a 50% cancellation fee.
After September 1, fees are non-refundable but registration can be transferred to another person.
Single tickets and pick 5 packages
If you can only attend one or two events, individual tickets are available by clicking on the individual events below.
Buy 5 and Save! Want to fully customize your experience? Select 5 Writers Retreat tickets through the Grand Theatre website (www.kingstongrand.ca), and choose the Buy 5 option to have the discount applied to your cart. You can also claim this discount in person at their box office (218 Princess St) or by phone at 613-530-2050.
Grand Theatre Box Office hours: Monday – Saturday 12:00 – 6:00 pm.
Limited enrolment. Classes are 2.5 hours long, unless otherwise stated, and include a 15-minute break.
Bring your computer or a notebook and your favourite writing implement – plus your questions!
Molson Award-winning experimental fiction writer Diane Schoemperlen shares techniques for opening yo...September 26 @ 9:00 am - 11:30 am
*SOLD OUT* Award-winning novelist Alan Cumyn guides you through image-based exercises to unlock your...September 26 @ 12:30 pm - 3:00 pm
*SOLD OUT* In this master class, Lawrence Scanlan – the author or co-author of 24 books (non-ficti...September 26 @ 3:30 pm - 6:00 pm
*SOLD OUT* Susan Scott, the non-fiction editor of The New Quarterly, shines a light on the typical m...September 27 @ 9:00 am - 11:30 am
*SOLD OUT* A book pitch is usually a blunt summary and crude sales vehicle, a disposable by-product ...September 27 @ 12:30 pm - 3:00 pm
*SOLD OUT* We talk all the time, so nothing should be easier than writing dialogue. Yet, most writer...September 27 @ 3:30 pm - 6:00 pm
*SOLD OUT* “Poems, novels, stories are built word by word,” says poet Lorna Crozier. That sounds...September 28 @ 9:00 am - 11:30 am
In this unpredictable, enjoyable workshop, award-winning poet/fictioneer Stuart Ross encourages you ...September 28 @ 12:30 pm - 3:00 pm
Prizewinning playwright and novelist Damian Tarnopolsky leads a masterclass on scene construction. ...September 28 @ 12:30 pm - 3:00 pm
Author Erika Behrisch Elce explains techniques to develop richly-imagined and believable characters....September 28 @ 3:30 pm - 6:00 pm
Poet Tanis Macdonald explores the questions: what is the action of being here now? How does the past...September 29 @ 9:00 am - 11:30 am
Award-winning author Rabindranath Maharaj helps you get your work ready for publication, as he takes...September 29 @ 12:30 pm - 3:00 pm